NY Career Resource Network: CareerZone/Career Plan
Program Goals and Emphasis
The primary goals of the New York Career Resource Network (NY CRN) are to: 1) maintain and expand the highly trafficked Career Information Web site; 2) through training, introduce a variety of agencies to the career development resources available; and 3) develop an on-line career portfolio for the adult jobseeker.
State Economic Profile
Economic and Environmental Profile
Government, health care and social assistance, and professional and business services are the largest employing sectors. Emerging industries include biotechnology and nanotechnology.
The January 2006 unemployment rate was 4.6%, as compared to 5.0% in May 2005.
Key Economic Sectors
• Financial Activities
• Health Care & Social Services
• Leisure & Hospitality
• Professional & Business Services
• Retail Trade
State Career Resource Activities
• In addition to the Real Game curriculum, the major activity of the NYCRN Office continues to be support for the CareerZone/Career Plan system. This comprehensive electronic, Web-based system helps students identify strengths, skills and talents and relate this to their goals for the future.
• The CareerZone System includes a new short- and long-term training database that compliment the college exploration component of the portfolio system. This database from the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation is available free for all students in New York State.
• A special pilot project was undertaken with a local vocational school district to test various levels of the Real Game curriculum and create adaptations for special education students. NYCRN staff also provided training to the Office of Children and Family Services staff to use career and education information for youth in detention centers who were returning to classrooms.
Primary Activities and Trainings
New York has conducted the following activities and trainings:
• Career Development Portfolios-- CareerZone online portfolio
• Development of a CareerZone CD for corrections agencies
• Facilitating Career Development Learning Improvement Project
• Presentations to the State Workforce Investment Board
• Real Game
• Smart Options Introduction
• Student Career Conferences
• Take Our Future to Work
Career Information Delivery Systems (CIDS)
CIDS are computer-based systems providing local, state, and
national information about careers and employment opportunities. State sites
for CIDS include:
New York has published the following resources:
• Career Development Portfolios
• CareerZone Bookmark
• CareerZone Online Portfolio
• Federal Occupational Outlook Handbook
• The Real Game Series
Program Funding and Partnerships
Other Funding Sources
The program receives additional funding from the following sources:
• Workforce Investment Act (WIA)
• Other (not specified)
Significant Program Partnerships
• New York State Department of Education
• Youth and Adult Correction Agencies (State and Local)
• Individual School Districts
• Special Learning Improvement Project
• Other New York Labor Department Divisions
• Workforce Development and Employment Services